Sanitary napkins are worn by women to absorb menstrual liquid and bleeding that can happen after childbirth, miscarriage, or abortion. These napkins comprise a liquid impervious membrane, a fluid acquisition layer, an absorbent structure, and a distribution component. They are available in a variety of sizes, shapes, and capacities of absorption. The market of these items is divided into 3 parts i.e., Disposable Menstrual Pads, Cloth Menstrual Pads, and Biodegradable Menstrual Pads. These items are sold in pharmacies, drug stores, supermarkets, hypermarkets, and e-commerce websites. These hygiene products are becoming an integral part of the lifestyle of Indians. Maharashtra is the biggest sanitary napkin market in our country.
This market does face some obstacles in India:
- Taboo regarding the issue of menstruation
- Lack of proper awareness among the masses
- Lack of medical stores in rural and other underprivileged areas
Due to these reasons, many women in India are still using newspapers, cloths, rags, dried leaves, and plastics instead of sanitary napkins. This causes many health problems in women. Poor menstrual hygiene can cause rashes, skin allergy, urinary tract infections, vaginal infections that can lead to several other complications.
Reasons behind the growth of this market:
Despite some hindrances, this market is still going strong because of the following reasons:
- Strong government support and its social awareness schemes
- The Swachh Bharat Abhiyan initiative of the Indian government
- Innovations in the sanitary napkins
- Increasing awareness regarding menstrual hygiene
- Rising literacy level
- Aggressive market promotions
- Support from various NGOs
- Rising investment in this domain by private firms
- Setting-up of drug stores, pharmacies, supermarkets, hypermarkets, etc. around various parts of India
The Indian sanitary napkin market reached a value of approximately USD 521.5 million in the year 2020. The market is further expected to grow at a CAGR of 11% between 2021 and 2026 to reach a value of approximately USD 975.4 million by 2026. This market is sure to offer lucrative profit earning opportunities.